Thursday, May 29, 2008

South Dakota Here We Come....


After watching National Treasure 2, I was sold that we must take a family vacation to see Mt. Rushmore. Now, I have been there before when I was in high school. My family took a 2 week vacation out west...but that is for another post. After discussing the vacation with the money man (aka as my husband), he realized that yes we could do this vacation for a reasonable amount of money (stimulus check). Now we are in the process of making solid plans. I am not a camper so tent camping is out for me. I do not enjoy taking a hike to get clean along with strangers. It's just not my ball of wax. My kids on the other hand would LOVE to go camping. I'm checking out a "pseudo camping experience"- CABINS. In reality, the place where we sleep shouldn't be elaborate--- it is the sightseeing that is important. I think if I book a cabin the kids will be in shock - no cable TV, no air conditioning, no phone. How will they ever survive? Instead of buying some books about South Dakota, I got a PLAC card for libraries in Indiana. Off to the new Central Library in search of great tourism books for South Dakota, we went. I was impressed with the grand selection of books. One book took my interest the most "Midwest Marvels". This book contains interesting stuff in various states of the Midwest. Here are some places we plan to hit thanks to Midwest Marvels:

1. Corn Palace in Mitchell South Dakota ( we went on our family vacation as well....19 years ago)
2. Dinosaur Park in Rapid City South Dakota ( part of FDR's New Deal )
3. President's Park in Lead South Dakota ( a park where presidents where carved trying to decide who else who get to be on Mt. Rushmore)
4. Wall Drugs in Wall South Dakota
5. Flintstone's Bedrock City in Custer SD

and Matt wants to go to the World's Largest Golden Spike in Council Bluffs Iowa. I'm not so sure about that!

No comments: